Hans Henrich Hofmann was christened on 22 Sept 1712. He was from Bockseifen, a very small village about two miles north of Freudenberg. In the Eighteenth Century it was in the parish of Freudenberg.
He married Anna Margarethe Huettenhen of Seelbach on 4 Jun 1734. The young couple may have spent their honeymoon in transit to America and arrived in Philadelphia on September 23, 1734. They traveled with a German group which become known as the "Little Fork Group", which was a follow-on to the first German group from that area who came in 1714. They left Nassau-Siegen, Westphalia, Germany, and entered America through Philadelphia and on to Culpeper Co., VA. Soon thereafter, Hans Hendrick became known as Henry Huffman.
Hans Henrich Hoffman, 22 and Anna Margret, 20 traveled on the ship “Hope” and are listed in [List 37 A, B, C] Hope (Galley) with Captain, Daniel Reed or Reid, from Rotterdam by way of Cowes, arrival in Philadelphia,September 23, 1734
Henry and Anna had 13 children:
1. Tillman Huffman was born 1735 ~ 1736 in Culpeper, Culpeper, VA, and died 1826 in Culpeper, Culpeper, VA. He married ?. She was born 1737, and died 1792. He married Margaret Williams Freeman 22 AUG 1794.
2. John Huffman was born 1737 in Virginia, and died 1772 in Culpeper, Culpeper, VA.
3. Mary Huffman was born 1739 in Virginia.
4. Elizabeth Huffman was born 1741 in Virginia. She married John Young.
5. Joseph Huffman was born 1745 in Virginia, and died 1830 in Culpeper, Culpeper, VA.
6. Alice Huffman was born 1747 in Virginia. She married James Spilman 1772. He was born 1721, and died 1790.
7. James Huffman was born 1755 ~ 1760, and died 1839 in Culpeper, Culpeper, VA. He married Letty Arnold 02 FEB 1795 in Culpeper, Culpeper, VA. She was born ~ 1775.
8. Elsbeth Huffman was born 1750.
9. Susannah Huffman was born 1753 in Virginia.
10. Catherine Huffman was born 1755.
11. Eve Huffman was born 1757 in Virginia.
12. Harman Huffman was born 1759 in Virginia, and died 1818 in Culpeper, Culpeper, VA.
13. Henry Huffman was born 1761 in Virginia, and died 1835 in Culpeper, Culpeper, VA.
The first year in which Henry appeared in the Virginia records was in 1741, when he was administrator of John Huffman of Orange County. This John seems to be a cousin of Henry who came later. Henry Huffman bought land of Jacob Holtzclaw in 1748. Probably he had been renting the land. He also purchased several other tracts and had one grant of 369 acres in 1768. This last parcel had been granted to Deatherage earlier but he sold to Huffman who had it surveyed again and procured a new grant. By 1764, Henry was on the tax rolls with 950 acres of land. He was at the time a Lieutenant in the Militia.
Henry Huffman died in 1783 in Culpeper County. He wrote a will in 1767 which was probated in 1783. His wife appears in the tax rolls until 1792/3.